Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When all else fails, talk!!!

This weekend, some of my dear friends informed me (after I made a slightly awkward statement that I would not have said had I thought for another moment.) that when I say something and no one responds I just keep talking. Actually, I talk just about any time there's silence.
I think I know why.
There's the inexplicable need in me to make sure I'm understood when I say things. And I think that when people don't respond to my comments I subconsciously assume that they didn't understand... So I keep talking... And keep talking until they say something in response. And anytime there's something to explain, I talk about every single facet so that we're all on the same page.
Needless to say, this discover has made me slightly self-conscious about how much I talk.
Apparently I talk anytime there's silence too. Well, isn't that just common sense?? Who wants awkward silences?? I don't. I don't enjoy awkwardness!
Anyways. Those are my slightly revolutionary musings for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be self-conscious, but be proud of the fact that you can talk! :) It truly makes you who you are, and I kind enjoy it. So talk away, beautiful! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, interesting. I can relate. My devotional today was about the Mennonites and how they are committed to silence whenever possible, that they are committed to avoiding unnecessary words (this was in the book you gave me for my birthday last year). The author of the devo said she gave up unnecessary words for Lent! Something to think about.
    I definitely can relate to needing to fill the silence and explain myself. Maybe there's a place for silence too, though...
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete