- butterfinger and resse's milkshake
- peanut m&m's
I just realized that God is honestly fabulous. Well, maybe I didn't initially realize it, but I've had a pretty strong reminder these past couple days. Last night, we had an infamous volleyball game. We had a fairly good chance at getting to state this year. And TWO games stood in our way. Southwest and Mayer Lutheran. Preparations for both included gameplans, creatingg a list of the 12 pillars of volleyball... and being TESTED on them, excessive preacticing (at least 2 hours a day), watching film, and even more. We were ready. stoked. pumped. absolutely wanting to crush them.
We didn't.
And instantly after we shook their hands and offered a "good game" to some seemingly very snotty opponents, everyone broke down. The sobs were heart-wrenching. Horrible to listen to and watch.
The awkward thing: I didn't cry.
Maybe it's because I am just not super prone to crying that I didn't break down at the loss of what most people think is the ultimate dream, STATE! I'll admit, that would have been fun, but isn't that all about just glorifying ourselves? I know that doing our best and playing well and being passionate and living lives that are honorable glorifies God, but isn't the whole point of state to say, "Yes, we did this. We can play with the best of you. In fact, we beat some of the best of you to be here." I just have a slight problem with that. I feel like the self-glorification exceeds the God-glorification. Not that I'm the first person to give up my glory. But that's been gnawing on me for quite some time now. It's almost a comfort to not have to think about it anymore.
I think the other reason I was relatively devoid of tears is the fact that I see this as minute. I don't think of this as my life's goal, to go to state, win a game or two. And, no, it's not fun to lose and have to give up dreams. It's not fun to be done with a great season. But I know greater pain. Things that make me cry are things that hurt me. Things that make me angry. Things that are so sweet I can't stand to have dry eyes. Things like: losing people in my life, missing my sister, having to end relationships for some reason or another, being told a minute before the game started that I was not, in fact, going to be playing my position that I'd been rigorously preparing for all week, but instead I would play something I was utterly unprepared for, being told that we were Coach Christa's "girls", that she loved us so much (the tears proved her point), my parents hugging me tight and telling me they were proud of me when few others who said it meant it. Not losing a chance at glory. I can't really understand that.
And last night, as I got in my car to drive to a friend's house and hang with the girls, the radio announcer was telling about a man who was piloting a plane wiht his kids inside it. The last radio transmission they had before the crash was that his wings were icing over and he couldn't control the plane anymore. They all died. That is gut-wrenching pain, dear friends. That is lay on the floor and sob until the carpet is soaked kind of pain. So I just told God, I get it. I get Your message. There are things much bigger than this right now. Perspective: it does wonders.
And the other reason that God is so great (well, I suppose just one of many) is that in the month that I decided I was going to use my money to save and spend on better things like the Samaritan's Purse gift catalog, I have had so many money-making opportunities. In this next 6 days I have 4 babysitting jobs. two of them pay $7 an hour. Praise the Lord. And I got to dog-sit last weekend, and I'm sure that the lady will get around to paying me soon. God provides! It's amazing what blessings come through when I'm in His will for my life.
You TOTALLY just made my day.
ReplyDeleteYour are such an encouragement to me.
Thanks for riding with me today and for great conversation and moreso, being a great friend. LOVE YOU!
thank you ashley. your words are soooooo encouraging. my cousin and i were actually just talking about self glorification last night... and this really just topped it off :). love you
ReplyDeleteAwwww well I had a great time with you yesterday too, Kate! Now that I'm a free woman, I want to do that more :)
ReplyDeleteYou two are so sweet. That encouraged me, just reading your comments! Love you guys! :)
I can feel your passion behind these words. Well said. You are learning so many important life lessons so young, and I know it can be hard, but God will use it all to shape and form you!
ReplyDeleteI heard about that airplane crash too... so sad :(
Glad God is providing with babysitting jobs :) He's great like that... we turn ourselves (or our money) over to him, and he steps in and provides.
Love you and MISS you!