Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Inspiration of a Good Book

I honestly cannot express how much better I feel after having begun a new book. Not that the book in itself was just so amazing (which it was! but that's beside the point!). No, simply the act of sitting and reading a thought-provoking (which, to me, all books are) and relaxing book. It fills me with more than I had before. And, of course it really helps that the author of this book is a fabulous writer and has a great message.
It makes me want to paint a picture or dance in the thunderstorm that's going on outside right now.
I think it sets me free.
or makes me want to be free.
One of the two.
There's a place in my heart and, I believe, in each one of our hearts that longs for complete freedom. Freedom from expectations, from burdens, from limitations and from ourselves. Mostly from ourselves. Because even though expectations and burdens and limitations all are things that put us in our own little prison, we ourselves put all those things onto ourselves in addition to the ones put on us by others and our circumstances. We make life harder for ourselves. Why? I think it's habit. I think that our human nature make sus desire to do things that appear to be freeing, but in reality they enslave us - to our sin and sinful nature. If we did the things that would seem to enslave us - to duty, to responsibility, to boundaries, to God - we would find ourselves to be far more free people. And that freedom would bring us more joy.
Joy.
ahh.
I want more joy.
Not that my life is a depressing Shakespearean tragedy, but I could definitely use a genuinely consistent, joyful attitude. and reasons to be joyful.
And tolerance for those who I tend to blame for my lack of joy. If I'm bitter, it only robs me of joy. Why give anyone who has hurt me that much more power over me? If I let them go, they can't hurt me anymore.
There is so much inside of me that wants to be completely free. Parts of me are free, and I'm learning to let God set me free, but it's a process. My chains are gone, but I make myself think they're still there. Reverting back to the way I was. which isn't very smart.
Change is necessary for freedom.

(And if you were wondering about the book, it's Dating Mr. Darcy by Sarah Arthur)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, you are such an inspiring writer. And reader. Hahaha, I will never call you pensive in reading ever again. You looked very enthralled. I may have to take you up on reading that book... I love you, Ash!

    ReplyDelete