You know those people who say, "I'm here for ya girl!!" and they really mean it. And you know they mean it. And they intend to act on that. But in the end, they don't. Whether it's because you're the type of person who, like me, doesn't like to bother people with her troubles because you feel like your burdening them. or that it'll be too much and it'll push them away. Fear of this ends up isolating us.
Regardless of why you keep your troubles to yourself, if indeed you do this, it denies the people who would actually do it the opportunity to be there for you. Why I ever do this is beyond me. I guess I'm just afraid that I'll unload on the wrong person. I'm afraid that the one who has said that they will be there for me didn't really mean it. Or they meant "there" in the sense of "when you need a shopping buddy" rather than "someone to listen to my insanely complicated life that I can't figure out".
But it isolates me.
It leaves me alone with my heartache.
And Satan uses this to bring me to a place of self-pity and hopelessness. And I think he does this because he knows that when I am trusting God to supply my emotional needs and take care of my problems, I am unstoppable. All because of Jesus, or course, PRAISE GOD!
And often I don't see Satan's hand. When I have alot on my mind, I isolate myself because I feel introspective. I deny myself the chance to be encouraged. And I deny others the chance to encourage me. I know there are many people who would if I gave them the chance.
And they have.
All of this to say, that I have decided that I want to be the kind of friend who is there for her friends. Not just when I have nothing better to do (but CERTAINLY then), when I'm busy and feel like squeezing in a quick phone call to a friend with issues might set me back. It wouldn't. That's Satan again. he has this thing with wanting us as Christ-followers to be so low that we neglect serving God and making a difference in this world for Him. I refuse to give Satan that kind of power over me.
This whole blogging thing is awesome. I'm totally digging it. :)
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I am too scared to be in that position... and I want to be so better @ it. Glad I'm not the only one working on it :). Also, you are so great about caring... and I love your heart, it is so giving and loving. Love you, Ash bAsh!
ReplyDeleteI agree, this is hard... you don't want to be an emotional basketcase and rely too much on people to fill your needs (like you said, God can handle our emotions and take care of our problems, and we should go to him first). But hiding it and bottling up real feelings when your friends truly care and want to be there for you is unfair to your friends, and hurtful to you.
ReplyDeleteGood thoughts sis! :-)
good to know you guys are in the same boat!
ReplyDelete