Thursday, June 3, 2010

love my job :)

Childcare is one of the most draining occupations in the whole world, I think.  You have to watch all these children to make sure they don't do anything that could hurt them... or hurt another child, keep them busy, make sure they get fed - that is, without throwing food across the room or down their shirts, correct mistakes, help them go to the bathroom (or change diapers), and all this while not doing anything that's going to scar them for life or make their parents mad.  
But, in spite of the difficulties, kids are so cute.  They latch onto you so easily and will love you even if you're not all that exciting.  The grins and giggles and hugs make all of the fussing and crying and shrieking worth dealing with.  And, the best part of all, they GO HOME!!  their parents come to get them, and you have your own life back.  It's like shared custody, but you get paid for the time you spend with them.  
I love kids.
They're so cute.
And they love me... don't really know why.
I'm not all that patient even though I try.  I get irritated when kids refuse to do things and say "no" over and over ... and over again.  But then, they hug me and give me a toothy smile and somehow all is forgiven.  
I guess that must be how God is with us.  I say "no" over and over when He asks me to do something, and I run away from Him when he's only trying to protect me from things that will hurt me.  It's irrational.  Stupid, even.  God has my best interests at heart even more than my parents do... which is really saying something.
Why would I ever run from him?  Why would I ever think that I know better?
It's cause at heart, I'm still 3.  I still think that I know best.  
It really makes no sense.
At all.
Amazing how you can draw parallels to God from something as simple as kids' behavior, isn't it?  I guess that just shows how God fits with our lives.  And how He gave us models of Himself in our parents and people in authority over us.  
Yay, God.  Thank you for helping me see how you view me.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley! you're so good with kids & they LOVE you (and I know that). I aslo love how you tied this into God... that's a total view of him to us and I love that :). I am praying for you on your trip!!!!! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete