Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Big girl panties.

Today, on the way home from the paint store, my mom told me that I'm going to have to "wear the big girl panties" in a certain situation. 
She meant that I needed to be the bigger person, but I just thought it sounded funny. :)
Sometimes I get sick of "being the bigger person".  I get sick of having to be humble when I'm really frustrated.  I get sick of having to own up to things when someone else has wronged me.
Then I remember Jesus.
And I'm ashamed of myself.  Really?  If is SUCH a big deal to be the bigger person every once in a while?  And wouldn't Jesus do that?
Ashley, you've got to keep things in perspective.

On a lighter note, I completed deciphering Great Expectations on Saturday night.  The exhilaration is indescribable. 
So now, I've begun The Scarlet Letter.  Six chapters in, and I'm already loving it. 
A certain person in my class (couch cough, no names named here) complained on orientation night, "It takes 100 pages just to tell you that she has a BABY!"
Lies.
In the first 100 pages it introdues the character of Hester.  Hawthorne does a marvellous job of showing how people view her and how she views herself.  Then, he does this huge in-depth analysis on her feelings about her sin and situation and the people around her.  It's amazing.
Me gusta.

3 comments:

  1. love your first part, and i knooooow exactly how you feel :/.

    secondly, though, I started reading scarlett letter yesterday... and ashley, you're going to be proud. I actually like this one. actually, i LOVE IT. I'm excited to keep reading. anyway, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I'm not alone!!! :)
    I am SO PROUD! Isn't it good? I finished yesterday, and it is quite the read! Good luck babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like this book! Isn't it wonderful, insightful, awesome? P.S. Melville dedicated Moby-Dick to Hawthorne... that's how good Hawthorne is, and Moby-Dick's like 300 pages longer!

    ReplyDelete