Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Taylor Swift Gets Possessive

If you haven't taken a listen to T-Swift's new single, "Mine"... then you need to.  Simple truth.
When I first heard the title of this tune, the first thing to cross my mind was, dang, she's getting possessive.  I was thinking that it would be a ballad of heartbreak; perhaps she thought that he was hers, but then he wasn't really!
I wasn't really expecting cute and happy.
And it's funny, because when I was listening to it, it struck me that Jesus is the most versatile person in the whole world.
now that may seem a strange conclusion to come to when listening to a Taylor Swift song, but at the end of the song, when the two of them get in a fight and she runs into the street crying and bracing herself for the goodbye (cause it's all she's ever known) he tells her that he fell in love with "a careless man's careful daughter... she is the best thing that's ever been mine."
And your heart skips a beat.  Because that's exactly what every girl wants to hear.  To hear that he LOVES her and wants to be with her even though they just had a huge blowout fight, and she said things that she didn't mean.
Jesus is exactly like that!  We mess up, and (even though He has promised otherwise) we expect Him to say, "Well, this has been a bumpy ride.  I know I've forgiven you before, but this is just the last straw."  and walk away.  BUT HE NEVER DOES.  He takes us in His arms and tells us how precious and valuable we are to Him.  Even though we see no value in ourselves at the moment.
Jesus fits in everywhere.
Seriously.
I think God did that on purpose, because then He can be a part of everything in our lives.
What a creative, smart God.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think Taylor Swift intended you to draw that connection? Now that is the question... :) But it really doesn't matter, cause it's a good parallel and a good song.
    I like your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete