Saturday, July 31, 2010

Soggy Mini-wheats

My breakfast this morning consisted of:
*coffee - for the first time in over a week!  I'm so happy!  I feel like I've finally gained control over my caffeine addiction.  I own the coffee now, it doesn't own me!!
*chocolate frosted mini-wheats.
Now I know that the title of that sounds extremely unhealthy minus the wheat part.  It's like, why even use wheat in there?  why not go the whole hog and use sugary puffed up corn stuff like in other cereals?  But, anyways, regardless of what it's made out of, it's soggy.  Too soggy to enjoy.  So I'm resorting to blogging about it!
I was thinking about these mini-wheats and how little time they spent making my breakfast nice before they got soggy.  Because now they are gross.  And I cannot even bring myself to think about putting that in my mouth!  Call me a snob, but I like cereal the way it was meant to be: perfect.
I was thinking about this and then I realized that it totally has a spiritual correlation, but you're going to have to roll with me on this one.
It reminded me of how quickly we lose our spiritual fervor.  We are made into mini-wheats (aka, become Christians or accept Christ), but then we go out into the world (aka, milk being poured onto us.)  Rather than to resist the milk (which, of course, the mini-wheats can't do since the are inanimate.  and do not have umbrellas) we let it sink deep into us and penetrate our beings.  We start living life by the world's terms, not by God's.  We see things as impossible for us, forgetting the Power that is at work within us.  We view prayer and time spent in the word and in fellowship with other believers as worthless, not realizing the affect that would have on our souls.  And I, for one, do not want to be a soggy mini-wheat.
I have a confession to make, I fell asleep talking to God last night.  And I can rationalize this.  I was up reading a Christian book on insecurity (that is fabulous by the way) and trying to evaluate my own insecurities.  And I started talking to God (in the dark, on my side, in bed, with my eyes shut tight) FULLY intending to finish that conversation.  But I didn't.
I have a mental list of about 40+ people that I pray for each night, because I used to know the power of prayer.  Apparently, I have forgotten.  And, I know that I serve a God who is a ton bigger than me, and He knows the needs of every person on that list, far better than I do.  He will take care of them, but that does not relinquish me from my duty of praying for them.  I need to be carrying my friends to Jesus, asking Him to take their anxiety about going to college away.  I need to be asking God to watch over and comfort my grandma, who has been living without her husband of 53 years since he passed away in November.  I need to be praying for my piano teacher, who does not know Jesus.  I need to by lifting up my sister in all areas of her life.  I need to be praying for my parents, that we would have a good relationship and that God would give them strength to do all that they need to do.
and I need to ask God to intervene in MY life!  in the places in my life where I put others before him and in the places where I struggle.  Actually, EVERYWHERE!  I need to talk to him about all my hurts, as they are many, and ask Him to bring comfort to my soul.  I need to surrender each and every day to the One who has ordained my steps for all the days of my life because HE knows what is best for me.
All in all, I need to find a better time to talk to God.  not when I'm gearing down to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. amen sister. I love this. hannah in the Bible is my favorite because of all her praying... and how powerful it is(: heart you!

    ReplyDelete