Thursday, July 1, 2010

burning bridges

just as I typed that title I slammed my knee into the corner of the desk I'm sitting at.  so now a more appropriate title would be, "hurting knees", but there isn't much for me to say on that topic.
I've just been wondering, when can you burn a bridge?  Is it ever okay to sever ties?  And by okay, I mean, like even though it might be uncomfortable, that God would approve...
there's a bridge I would certainly like to burn.  I'd like to set it aflame....  Not with gasoline or a big show of it, just to burn it and make it disappear. Not to cackle wickedly as it goes up in flames, but just set a match to it and move on.  And I desperately wish I could do this.  Because as long as that bridge is there, someone's going to keep coming across it - and I would gladly meet that person, if they were wanting to meet for the same reason as me.  But, alas, that person just wants to make the bridge sway and rock... and it's already broken.  They want to knock me off the bridge rather than work together to repair it.
and that's why I want to burn it.  When we're both off of the bridge, of course.  I wouldn't want to physically harm anyone.  (of course, this is figurative language, so I guess that would be emotional harm... ) And I don't want to emotionally harm anyone... even the one across the bridge.
I'd just like to forget the bridge was ever there.
I'd like to burn it, and never seek to cross it again, since all attempts by me at repairs went amok.
Perhaps I'm on my way, it could be, but yet a certain chain of events could change that.  Strange that I don't know if the bridge is burning....
It could be lit.  It could be on its way to being just a smoking memory.
I wish.
And I wish that the Bridge Maker would make it clear whether or not this bridge has served its purpose.  Because if the Designer's purpose had been fulfilled then I would know that it would be fine to bring a box of Strike-Anywhere matches and leave a couple stricken matches on  my side.
And as troubling as this whole bridge burning business is, I'm really enjoying writing this extended metaphor.
If only matches would solve my problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment